Butternut Squash Gnocchi
- prep time 25 min
- total time 95 min
- serves 4
1 large butternut squash, halved, seeds removed
4 tablespoons olive oil (60 ml)
2 eggs beaten
1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
About 2 cups flour (500 ml)Assembly
2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
2 tablespoons butter (30 ml)
½ cup of veal stock (125 ml)
½ cup chives, finely chopped (125 ml)
½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated (125 ml)
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C). Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the squash halves and season the flesh with salt & pepper. Cook in oven for about an hour, flesh side down on the pan. Let cool, remove the flesh and keep aside in a bowl.
2. In a food processor, mix the squash with the eggs and flour. Depending on the size of the squash you might need more flour. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until the dough is a soft texture. Do not over-mix.
3. Roll the dough into long 2 cm-wide strips. Cut into 2 cm long cylinders and place them on a baking tray lined with floured parchment paper to prevent from sticking.
4. Place dough pieces (gnocchi) into a pot filled with salted boiling water. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the gnocchi floats. Next, place gnocchi into a bowl of icy cold water to stop the cooking process.Assembly
1. Drain the squash gnocchi and in a pan on medium high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sautée the gnocchi. Add the veal stock, butter and season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
2. Add the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and chives and serve as a main dish or with Chuck’s Duck Breast & Red Wine recipe.