- prep time 15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 0
Ricardo makes cupcakes even sweeter with homemade butterscotch and vanilla buttercream icing.
Ricardo Larrivée Ricardo and Friends
1 ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
¾ cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup milkButterscotch
½ cup sugar
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp Scotch (or other whisky)
¼ cup 35% cream, hot
2 Tbsp salted butterVanilla buttercream icing
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cup icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp 35% cream, hotAssembly
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place paper or silicone liners in 9 or 12 muffin cups.
2. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with the vanilla using an electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until the mixture is smooth. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly. Unmould and finish cooling on a rack.Butterscotch
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Cook until the mixture turns golden-brown. Off the heat, add the Scotch, the cream and butter. Continue stirring until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.Vanilla buttercream icing
1. In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cream in a thin stream and continue beating until smooth. Set aside.Assembly
1. Using a apple corer or a melon baller, cut a pocket from the centre of each cupcake, removing about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of cake without cutting through. Fill the pocket with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) butterscotch. Ice the cupcakes with the buttercream icing.