Calamari with Citrus Aioli
- serves 4
1 ½ lb(s) (750 g) calamari, cut into ½-inch (1 cm) rings
2 cup (500 mL) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (50 mL) cornmeal
1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
½ tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
Salt for seasoning
Vegetable oil for fryingAioli
½ cup (125 mL) good quality mayonnaise
1 Tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
tsp (6 mL) grated lemon rind
¼ tsp (1 mL) minced garlic
Pinch each salt and pepper
1. In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, mustard, lemon rind, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Heat oven to 325 degrees (160 Celsius).
3. In a resealable bag, combine flour, cornmeal, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Shake calamari rings in the flour, sealing the bag, about 6 at a time. Remove to fine sieve and shake gently to remove excess coating. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil, ¾ -inch (2 cm) deep in a deep frying pan until hot (350 degrees, 180 Celsius) or when the handle of a wooden spoon inserted into oil, has small bubbles rising around it.
5. Carefully, fry rings, about 4-5 at a time, spacing well, until crisp and golden, 1- 1 ½ minutes. Drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt. Transfer to baking sheet to keep warm in oven while cooking remaining calamari.
6. Serve with aioli.Aioli