Calzone with Sausage Rapini and Goat Cheese
- prep time1 min
- total time 130 min
- serves 6
Unlike store bought calzones, this dish uses flavourful goat cheese and nutritious rapini with savoury chorizo sausage.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 chorizo sausage, casing removed
½ rapini, blanched, and, chopped
½ bunch fresh spinach, chopped
2 plum tomato, peeled, seeded, and, diced
1 pinch nutmeg
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
⅓ cup Grana Padano cheese, finely, grated
¾ cup shredded Chevre Noir cheeseDough
1 package yeast
¾ cup luke warm water
1 tsp salt
2 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup olive oilAssembly
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté onion until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and the sausage. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until sausage is just golden.
4. Add the tomatoes and toss for a few minutes, until tomatoes are just softened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped rapini and spinach.
6. Add the nutmeg.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add chopped parsley and stir to combine.
9. Spread out on baking sheet to cool completely.
10. When cool stir in cheeses.Dough
1. Add yeast to warm water.
2. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast foams.
3. In a food processor fitted with the dough blade attachment combine the flour and salt.
4. Add the oil to the yeast mixture
5. Pour liquid into flour and pulse until mixture comes together.
6. Keep pulsing until dough is almost smooth.
7. Turn onto lightly floured surface to finish kneading.
8. If dough seems too sticky, dust with more flour until smooth.
9. Place in a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
10. Let rise in warm spot for about 1½ hours until doubled in bulk
11. Punch down and divide dough into 6 equal balls.
12. Roll loosely and sprinkle with flour. Cover with tea towel and let rest for half an hour.Assembly
1. Roll each ball into 6 inch disc on lightly floured surface.
2. Brush with egg wash. Divide filling between 6 rounds and mound on bottom half of circle leaving a half inch rim.
3. Fold top over and seal down with a fork.
4. Pierce a hole in top of each calzone and brush with remaining egg wash.
5. Let rest 10 minutes before baking.
6. Bake on parchment lined trays for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden and puffed.
7. Cool on wire racks for at least 15 minutes before serving.
8. You can also bake on a pizza stone.