Cappuccino Ice Cream Cake
- serves 8
This is a great recipe because you have 2 layers of ice cream, chocolate and coffee, but you only need an ice cream maker for one of the ice creams!
16 graham crackers
1 cup whole almonds
3 Tbsp sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, meltedFudge Sauce
½ cup whipping cream
¼ cup corn syrup
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
½ tsp vanilla
dash saltChocolate Ice Cream
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp water
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
6 large egg yolks
7 oz bittersweet chocolate, choppedCoffee Ice Cream
2 cup whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
2 tsp instant coffee powder
¼ cup coarsely ground espresso beans
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
4 large egg yolksAssembly
1. For the crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pulse graham crackers, almonds and sugar until ground. Pour in melted butter and pulse until blended. Press into bottom of an ungreased 10-inch springform pan and bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool.Fudge Sauce
1. For fudge sauce, heat cream and corn syrup until just below a simmer. Pour over chopped chocolate and stir until melted. Stir in vanilla and salt and set aside or chill until ready to assemble cake (reheat in microwave if necessary).Chocolate Ice Cream
1. Bring ½ cup sugar and water to a boil in a saucepot. Without stirring, boil sugar until a light amber colour, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pot with water. Remove from heat and carefully whisk in cream and milk (watch out for steam). If caramel hardens, return pot to low heat and stir until melted.
2. Whip yolks with remaining 3 Tbsp sugar and salt until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. While whipping, slowly pour in cream mixture. Pour custard mixture into a pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until thickened, about 4 minutes. Strain custard over chopped chocolate and stir to melt.
3. Chill to room temperature, then pour into cooled crust and freeze while preparing coffee ice cream.Coffee Ice Cream
1. For coffee ice cream, combine 1 cup whipping cream, milk, instant coffee, espresso beans and cinnamon stick in a saucepot. Scrape the seeds of vanilla bean into cream and heat over medium-low heat.
2. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar. While whisking, slowly pour hot cream into egg mixture. Return custard to pot and stir with a wooden spoon until thickened and custard coats the back of the spoon. Strain and chill completely.
3. Whip remaining 1 cup of whipping cream to soft peaks and whisk into chilled custard. Freeze ice cream in an ice cream maker following manufacturer’s instructions.Assembly
1. To assemble, spread all but ¼ cup of fudge sauce over frozen chocolate ice cream. Fudge sauce will set quickly.
2. Spread coffee ice cream over fudge sauce and drizzle remaining sauce over coffee ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing.
3. To remove cake from pan, run a hot knife or spatula along the inside edge of the pan before removing ring.