Caramel Apple Galette
- serves 12
3 Tbsp tepid 2% milk
1 ¼ tsp instant dry active yeast
3 Tbsp sugar
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 egg mixed with 2 tbsp water for egg washFruit
5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup sugar
2 Tbsp brandy
½ tsp cinnamonAssembly
1. Stir together milk, yeast and sugar. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Pour in milk mixture and add eggs. With electric beaters fitted with the dough attachments or in a stand-up mixer fitted with dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until blended. Add butter in pieces to dough and beat for 3 minutes until an even, silky consistency. Place dough in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.Fruit
1. For fruits, toss apples in lemon juice. Heat butter and sugar over high heat in a sauté pan and once bubbling, add apples. Sauté apples until nicely browned, about 10 minutes, and stir in brandy and cinnamon.Assembly
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place ring of 10-inch springform pan on baking sheet lined with parchment.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 14-inch circle and place in springform pan, overlapping 2-inches on the outside of the pan. Spoon in apples and fold back edge over apples. Brush dough with egg wash. Bake for 25 minutes, until edges of tart are richly browned. Let cool for an hour before unmoulding and slicing.