Caramelized Banana Bread Pudding with Chocolate Rum Sauce
- prep time1 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 8
Rich caramelized banana bread pudding gets smooth assistance from a creamy chocolate sauce.
10 1/2 inch thick slices of egg bread, toasted
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 cup whole milk
2 cup 18% cream
½ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
grated nutmeg, to taste
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tsp vanilla
1 pinch salt
¼ cup butter
⅓ cup sugar
4 medium ripe bananas, sliced
2 Tbsp rumChocolate Sauce
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely, chopped
¾ cup milk
3 Tbsp dark rum
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C)
2. Brush 5 bread slices with butter and set aside. Break remaining bread up into bite size pieces. Brush a 10" x 12 1/2" baking dish with butter.
3. Combine the eggs, milk, cream, sugar and spices in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, heat butter and add sugar. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden caramel forms.
5. Add the banana slices and toss over high heat for 2 minutes, or until just soft and golden.
6. Add rum and remove from heat and cool.
7. Arrange broken bread pieces in baking dish and spoon bananas on top, spreading evenly.
8. Cover with buttered bread slices, in a single layer, and pour egg mixture over top. Press bread down and let stand for 30 minutes.
9. Bake for about 35- 40 minutes or until puffed and golden, but custard is still moist in center.Chocolate Sauce
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium stainless bowl and place over simmering water until chocolate melts. Bottom of bowl should not be touching the water.
2. Stir until smooth and serve warm with pudding.