1. Remove outer leaves from brussels sprouts, trim stem end and halve. Leave smaller sprouts whole, cutting an X in stem end to allow heat to penetrate.
2. In large skillet, cook bacon until browned, 3-5 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet, keeping warm. Drain excess grease from skillet, reserving 3 tbsp (45 mL) in pan.
3. Add butter and olive oil to bacon grease. Add shallot; cook until translucent.
4. Add brussels sprouts and sauté until golden and tender, yet still slightly firm, about 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn. (Add up to ⅓ cup (75 mL) hot water to skillet if pan is getting dry and sprouts aren’t cooking).
5. Add bacon to brussels sprouts.
6. Just before serving, squeeze lemon juice over brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper.