Carrot Oatmeal Muffins
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 12
1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour, sifted (425 ml)
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted (250 ml)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (5 ml)
2 ½ teaspoons baking soda (12 ml)
1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (250 ml)
⅔ cup brown sugar (150 ml)
¼ cup dried apricots, chopped (60 ml)
1 cup grated carrots (250 ml)
1 egg, beaten
½ cup peach nectar (125 ml)
¾ cup buttermilk (175 ml)
1 cup apple juice (250 ml)
2 teaspoons vanilla (10 ml)
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (30 ml)
Apple butter, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare a medium muffin tin by lining with muffin papper or brushing/spraying with oil.
3. Sift together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Add the brown sugar, apricots and carrots. Stir to combine.
4. Add the egg, peach nectar, buttermilk, apple juice, vanilla and oil to a medium bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour the liquid into the flour mixture ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Some of the flour may still remain visible. Do not over mix or the muffins will be tough.
5. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin tins. Put in the middle rack of oven. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Makes 12 medium sized muffins.