- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 24
2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup honey
3 whole cloves
½ tsp cardamomBaklava
1 ½ cup cashews
1 ½ cup walnuts
½ cup sugar
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp allspice
16 sheet phyllo pastry
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted (=0.5 cup + 2 tbsp)To Assemble Variation: Baby Baklavas
1. For syrup, put all ingredients in a pot and bring up to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and remove lemon and cloves. Allow to cool to room temperature.
2. For baklava, preheat oven to 350° F. Pulse cashews, walnuts, sugar and spices in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped. Brush 4 sheets of phyllo with butter, layering on top of each other (remember to keep phyllo not being used covered under a damp cloth). Cut the phyllo in half and place one half over the other. Place the phyllo in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch greased baking pan, trimming edges as needed. Sprinkle phyllo with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat process twice more with four sheets of pastry and sprinkling with nut mixture. Finish with last four sheets of phyllo. Score the top of the baklava into squares and/or triangles. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until an even golden brown.
3. While baklava is still hot, pour syrup over to coat. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours (or overnight) before cutting.
4. Yield: One 9 x 13-inch pan. Makes 24 servings.Variation: Baby Baklavas
1. For variety, try these Baby Baklavas. Follow the above directions, substituting the following step for Step #2 above, to yield 16 baklavas: For baklava, preheat oven to 350° F. Pulse cashews, walnuts, sugar and spices in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped. Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with butter. Lay wooden spoon lengthwise across phyllo sheet and roll up (remember to keep phyllo not being used covered under a damp cloth). Scrunch dough towards end of spoon, and then slide off. Join ends of phyllo to create a circle. Place the phyllo in the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Fill phyllo with 1 1/2 tbsp of the nut mixture. Repeat with remaining 15 sheets of phyllo pastry. Sprinkle remaining nut mixture on top of the 16 baklavas. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until an even golden brown.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site