CC's Fried Chicken
- serves 4
3 cup buttermilk (750 ml)
tsp minced garlic (10 ml)
salt and pepper
1 3 lb(s) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
4 cup of vegetable oil (1000 ml)
2 ½ cup flour (625 ml)
tsp cayenne pepper (10 ml)
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1. Put buttermilk, minced garlic and salt and pepper into a shallow dish.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut the breasts from the chicken and then cut them each in half to make 4 pieces. Cut the legs off of the chicken and then separate the thighs from the drumsticks, for a total of 8 pieces. Put the chicken pieces into the buttermilk and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Heat the oil over high heat in a large, deep sided skillet.
4. Put the flour, cayenne and salt and pepper into a plastic, resealable bag. Add the chicken pieces and shake so that they are coated well with the flour. Remove and shake off excess flour.
5. Put the chicken pieces skin-side down into the hot oil. Turn the heat down to medium. Cover the skillet and cook the chicken for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and flip the chicken pieces over. Continue cooking for about 8 minutes until chicken is golden and crispy. The chicken is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 175 to 180 degrees F. Remove chicken and place on a rack to drain off excess fat. Serve hot or cold.