Celery Root Fritters
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
8 cups vegetable oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
½ cup cold beer (golden, not dark)
2 small celery roots (12 ounces each)
1 Granny Smith apple peeled, grated, and squeezed dry in paper towels
½ teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1. Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot on high heat until a sugar thermometer registers 365 degrees F.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and then add beer and stir to combine.
3. Allow batter to rest for 20 minutes or so, up to 1 hour.
4. Peel both of the celery roots.
5. Grate one of the celery roots (you should have 4 cups) and dice the other one (you should have 1 cup).
6. Stir apple, grated and diced celery root and sage into batter.
7. Form batter into flat 2-inch patties.
8. In batches, drop patties of batter into oil and fry until golden, about 5 to 7 minutes total, flipping fritters over halfway through cooking time.
9. Transfer fritters with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
10. Serve warm.