Cheater Spring Rolls, Chicken in Cherry Sauce (with or without Pineapple) and Chinese Greens
- prep time 15 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 4
1 tsp canola oil
1 chicken breast
¼ of an onion
1 Tbsp prepared ginger (from a jar)
2 tsp prepared garlic (from a jar)
1 bag coleslaw mix with carrots (1 lb / 16 oz) about 6 cups
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 pinch Pinch of salt
8 twists of fresh pepper (1/2 tsp)
8 sheet sheets of filo pastry
2 Tbsp canola oil
V-H plum sauce (optional)
4 chicken breasts
1 cup buttermilk
⅓ cup 1/3 cup flour
⅓ cup 1/3 cup light Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 pinch Pinch of salt and pepper
¼ cup cup butter
¼ cup cup pineapple tidbits (optional)
½ cup cup V-H cherry sauce
1 tsp canola or peanut oil
5 cup frozen stir-fry veggies (3/4 lb / 350 g)
¼ cup cup teriyaki stir-fry sauce (V-H is my favorite)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Heat oil in a large stove-top pot or wok at med-high heat.
3. Cut chicken breast into very small pieces adding to pan as you cut.
4. Finely chop onion adding to pan as you chop.
5. Add ginger and garlic.
6. Stir until meat is no longer pink and onion is softened.
7. Add slaw mix, soy sauce and spice.
8. Stir to combine.
9. Set timer for 3 minutes.
10. Lay filo pastry on a dry surface, long side at bottom.
11. Brush top sheet of filo lightly with canola oil.
12. Form a log with 1/4 of the pan mixture about 2” from bottom edge of the filo.
13. Pick up two of the filo sheets on the bottom edge and begin to make a roll.
14. Once roll is almost done, fold sides over at edges and roll to finish. Brush oil all over roll.
15. Set aside on cookie sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients to form 4 rolls.
16. Slice each roll diagonally, not all the way through, into six spring rolls and place in hot oven. Set timer for 20 min. We like to dip in plum sauce.
17. Cut chicken into large bite size chunks.
18. Toss into a freezer bag with buttermilk. Massage outside of bag to coat all pieces. Set aside at room temp.
19. Combine flour, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper in a measuring cup.
20. Pour onto a large piece of waxed paper.
21. Melt butter on a large jelly roll pan (a cookie sheet with sides) in hot oven.
22. Once melted, remove the pan and tilt back and forth to cover entire surface with butter.
23. Remove chicken pieces from buttermilk and drop, 2 or 3 at a time, onto flour mixture.
24. Pick up sides of waxed paper to coat and place the chicken onto pan of melted butter. Continue until all chicken is coated. Place in hot oven for 30 minutes. If spring rolls are still cooking, put chicken in, and deduct the time left on the spring rolls. Reset timer.
25. Add pineapple to cherry sauce in a microwave safe dish or gravy boat. Once chicken is done, heat cherry sauce in microwave just before serving.
26. Heat oil in a large stove-top fry pan or wok at med-high. Place veggies in colander and rinse under cold water. Shake off moisture and add to pan. Add teriyaki stir-fry sauce. Toss until tender but crunchy.