Cheddar Cheese Biscuits with Maple Mustard Butter
- prep time20 min
- total time 38 min
- serves 12
Easy, cheesy holiday biscuits warm from the oven and perfect as an appetizer or side.
2 cup (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
2 ½ tsp (12.5 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
½ Tbsp (2 mL) salt
6 Tbsp (90 mL / 3/4 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
1 ¼ cup (310 mL) old Cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh rosemary, chopped
1 cup (250 mL) cold buttermilk
1 egg, beatenMaple Mustard Butter
1 cup (2 sticks/250 mL) unsalted butter, softened
3 Tbsp (45 mL) Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup
1 Tbsp (15 mL) flat leaf parsley or chives, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (190ºC).
2. Combine first 6 ingredients in processor and blend. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until fine meal forms. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in cheese and rosemary. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead.) Cover and chill.
3. Mix enough buttermilk into flour mixture to bind dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently until combined, about 10 turns. Pat out dough to 3/4-inch (3 centimetres) thickness and cut out into biscuits. Gather scraps, pat out to 3/4-inch (3 centimetres) thickness and cut additional biscuits.
4. Transfer biscuits to ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash. Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 18 minutes. Serve warm.Maple Mustard Butter
1. Whisk together until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
2. Slice biscuit in half and fill with sliced ham and a dollop of maple mustard butter.
3. Yield: About 1 ½ cups (375 millilitres).