- prep time5 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 0
Nothing beats homemade, especially when it comes to crackers! Great for a snack, lunches or a party spread.
¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ cup cold unsalted butter, frozen
1 cup coarsely grated old or extra-old cheddar
4 to 5 tbsp cold water
1 egg whisked with 2 tbsp water
coarse salt and sesame seeds for sprinkling
1. In a food processor pulse together flour, cornmeal, sesame seeds, salt, and baking powder. Grate in butter using a box grater and pulse until mixture is rough and crumbly. Add Cheddar Cheese and 4 tablespoons water and pulse until water is incorporated, adding remaining tablespoon of water if necessary to form a soft dough.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, knead dough in 3 or 4 turns to develop gluten in flour slightly and make dough easier to work with. Form dough into 2 balls and flatten into disks.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out first piece of dough into a 12-inch square (about 1/16 inch thick) and cut into squares 2-inches across, lifting onto prepared baking tray. Repeat with second piece of dough.
5. Brush squares lightly with egg wash and prick all over with a fork. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds and bake until lightly browned, about 13 minutes. Cool before transferring to a plate.
6. Crackers can be stored for up to 5 days in an airtight container.