Cheddar Potato Gratin
- prep time 30 min
- total time 120 min
- serves 4-6
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
2 clove garlic, chopped
1 onion, cut into rings
2 Tbsp and 6 teaspoons fresh thyme
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup flour
¾ tsp salt
3 cup 2% milk
1 ½ cup Black Diamond Light Cheese Spread
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter an 8”x11” baking dish.
2. Spread out the sliced potatoes, creating a base layer at the bottom of the dish, and season with salt and pepper. Top the potatoes with the onion, ham, and 1 tbsp of fresh thyme. Cover this layer with the remaining potatoes and season again with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat and gently cook the garlic for 1 minute. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and stir until everything’s completely coated by the butter. Cook for a minute. Pour the milk in slowly, whisking all the while to avoid lumps. Add in Black Diamond Light Cheese Spread, salt, and the 2nd tbsp of thyme and stir until fully melted.
4. Pour the cheese mixture over the potatoes ensuring it cascades through every crevasse, cover the dish with tinfoil, and bake for an hour and 20 minutes. At this time, remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
5. Allow the potatoes to cool for 5 minutes and then garnish the dish with the remaining thyme.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site