Cheese and Onion Tart
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
1 cup all purpose flour (250 ml)
⅓ cup cold butter (75 ml)
½ teaspoon salt (2 ml)
¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper (1 ml)
1 egg, yolk
¼ cup buttermilk (60 ml)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (15 ml)Filling
1 tablespoon butter (15 ml)
6 large shallots, finely sliced, or use 1 large onion
1 cup 10% cream (250 ml)
4 egg yolks
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
4 ounces Mont St. Benoit cheese, broken into pieces (113.5 g)
Thyme sprigs, for garnishApple Blueberry Relish
¼ cup red onion, finely chopped (60 ml)
1 Granny smith apple, peeled, cored, diced (1/4-inch)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (30 ml)
1 cinnamon stick (about 3-inch stick)
pinch of ground allspice
1 tablespoon apple butter (15 ml)
Zest of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice (15 ml)
pinch of salt
¼ cup apple cider vinegar (60 ml)
2 tablespoons apple brandy/calvados (30 ml)
½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (500 ml)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (10 ml)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (15 ml)
1. Combine flour, butter, salt and pepper in food processor. Pulse several times until mixture resembles course meal. Do not overwork. Transfer to medium bowl. Add chopped thyme.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and buttermilk. Add the flour mixture to the buttermilk and work gently with hands just until mixture comes together.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead very gently to combine. Flatten into a disc and wrap with plastic. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry out into a 10 ½-inch disc since roll pastry thinner to about 1/8-inch thickness. Transfer to a 9-inch fluted flan ring and press down. Poke small holes in bottom of pastry with fork and freeze for 10 minutes. Line ring with foil and cover with dried beans or pastry weights.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Bake pastry on the bottom rack of oven until pastry begins to crisp on sides, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove foil with beans and continue to cook pastry for 10 more minutes until crisp and golden. Cool slightly before adding the filling.Filling
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a frying pan combine butter and shallots. Sauté on low heat until very soft and golden, about 15 to 18 minutes. In a small bowl whisk together the cream, yolks and seasoning. Spread shallots over crust and pour in cream mixture. Arrange cheese evenly on top. Decorate with thyme sprigs. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until filling sets. Serve with Apple Blueberry Compote.Apple Blueberry Relish
1. Add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, allspice, apple butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and pinch of salt. Reduce and simmer, uncovered for 4 minutes. Add blueberries and simmer 2 to 3 minutes more. Add calvados and cider vinegar. Simmer until all liquid has become syrupy, about 5 to 10 minutes. (If the berries were frozen when added, it might take a few minutes more.) Stir in Dijon and parsley. Cool and serve with Cheese and Onion Tart. Makes about 1 cup.