- prep time20 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4
These delicious hors d'oeuvres are quite the spectacle! Perfect for any get-together.
Brought to you by Dairy Farmers of Canada
3 Tbsp (45 ml) butter
3 Tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) milk
½ tsp (2 ml) dry mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup (250 ml) Canadian Aged Cheddar, grated
4 eggs, separated
1 pinch salt
1 pinch Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
2. In heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Add mustard and cayenne. Stir in cheese until melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Season and stir into cooled cheese sauce.
4. In a large bowl, using a whisk or electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Do not overbeat. Carefully fold egg whites into cheese sauce – do not overmix and deflate egg whites. Pour into ungreased individual soufflé dishes.
5. Bake until soufflé has risen and top is light golden brown, 35–40 minutes. (Peek through oven window at 30 minutes but don’t open the door.) Serve immediately.
6. Bring right to the table – it’s so impressive! Have spectators ready to cheer because it falls quickly.