Cheese Steak and Veggie Sandwiches
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
6 large and small Italian rolls or Panini
2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
1 large vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms
1 each red, yellow and green pepper, halved and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pinch salt
1 pound deli roast beef, cut into 1-inch or 2.5 cm strips
¾ cup BBQ sauceChildren
Provolone or Mozzarella slicesAdult
Swiss cheese slices
1/4 tsp-1/2 tsp chipotle sauce, to taste (1-2ml)
1. Slice rolls horizontally almost all the way through and wrap each in foil. Set on a baking sheet in a (200 F/100 C) oven to keep warm. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, peppers, garlic, thyme, pepper and salt to the pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cover immediately with foil to keep warm.
3. Add remaining oil to the same skillet set over medium-high heat. Add beef to the pan and cook until warm and brown, but not crispy, about 1-2 minutes. If the whole family is having beef, stir in all the BBQ sauce, along with the reserved vegetables and heat for 1-2 minutes. For a vegetarian filling option, hold back some BBQ sauce and vegetables and toss together separately. Adults can stir chipotle sauce, to taste, into their sandwich filling portions
4. Open the foil packets, spoon warm filling into the rolls and top with cheese slices. Return baking sheet with packets to the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts.
5. For Kids portions place slices of Provolone and Mozzarella cheese on buns
6. For the Adults portion place slices of Swiss cheese on bun Tip: Use store-bought BBQ sauce in this recipe, or try using your favourite vinaigrette as a substitute.Children Adult