Chicken and Soba Noodle Stir Fry
- serves 4
Soba noodles are Japanese and made from buckwheat and wheat flour. They have a great nutty flavour!
1 pkg Soba noodles (8-ounce/250 gram package)
1 Tbsp peanut oil (30 ml)
3 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, sliced
¼ heads head Napa cabbage, cut into ¾-inch cubes
2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, stem removed, sliced (375 ml)
2 Tbsp ginger, minced (30 ml)
3 Tbsp sake (45 ml)
Pinch of sugar
1 Tbsp oyster sauce (15 ml)
2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce (30 ml)
½ cup chicken stock (125 ml)
1 tsp cornstarch (5 ml)
2 green onions, cut in 1 ½-inch sticks
2 Tbsp light miso (30 ml)
½ small bunch shiso or cilantro, sliced, for garnish (optional)
1. Boil soba noodles in rapidly boiling salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, or just until tender. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water. Toss in a bowl with 1 tbsp. peanut oil and 1 tbsp. tamari.
2. Add ½ tbsp. oil to a hot wok over high heat. Add napa cabbage and stir fry until wilts slightly, about 30 seconds. Remove to a plate or bowl. (Stir fry cabbage first so caramelizes a little and reduces the amount of moisture released from the cabbage.)
3. Add chicken and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrots and shiitake mushrooms and stir fry for another 1 minute. Add back cabbage. Add ginger, oyster sauce, green onions and pinch of sugar. Add noodles and stir fry for 30 seconds.
4. Combine the cornstarch and sake together. Add chicken stock, miso and 1 tbsp. tamari to stir fry. Bring to a boil. Make a well in the centre and add the cornstarch and sake mixture. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil to thicken. Toss well to combine mixture.
5. Garnish with shiso or cilantro. Serve immediately.