Chicken Burritos with Cold Veggies
- prep time20 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 5
(Remember to triple recipe - 2 parts for dinner and 1 part for lunches)
Prepared, washed cut veggies (450 g or 1 lb)
1 tsp canola or olive oil (5 mL)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (450 g or 1 lb) (2 packs for dinner and 1 for lunch)
1 cup fat-free sour cream (250 mL)
1 can chopped green chilies (127 mL or 1/2 cup)
½ cup grated low-fat Monterey Jack cheese (125 mL)
½ cup grated low-fat Cheddar cheese (125 mL)
Cooking spray (cholesterol free)
8 large flour tortillas
1 heads green leaf lettuce
2 Roma tomatoes
4 green onions
3 Tbsp of your favorite low-calorie dressing (45 mL)
Fat-free sour cream (optional)
Chunky salsa (optional)
Non-bleached coffee filters to wrap burritos for lunches (optional)
1. Rinse veggies and lay out with dip for an after school snack.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
3. Heat oil in a nonstick fry pan or wok.
4. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add to pan as you cut. Stir until no longer pink.
5. Add sour cream, chilies, and half of the cheeses to cooked meat and stir. Remove from heat.
6. Spray a large cake pan with cooking spray.
7. Distribute chicken mixture on centre of tortillas.
8. Roll up tortillas, folding the sides under, to ensure that filling does not run out. Carefully place burritos inside pan, sprinkle with remaining cheeses, cover pan with foil.
9. Bake for 20 minutes.
10. Tear lettuce into salad spinner, spin dry and arrange on plates.
11. Cube tomatoes and slice green onions.
12. Sprinkle on top of lettuce and drizzle with dressing.