Chicken Cornish Pasties
- prep time 60 min
- total time 105 min
- serves 12
1 cup (250 ml) shortening
½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cup (500 ml) all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup (375 ml) whole wheat flour
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) cold waterFilling
2 Tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
1 ½ lb. (750 g) ground chicken
1 cup (250 ml) diced onion
1 Tbsp (15 ml) minced garlic
1 cup (250 ml) diced celery
1 cup (250 ml) diced sweet red pepper
2 cup (500 ml) grated carrot
2 cup (500 ml) grated parsnip
2 cup (500 ml) grated peeled sweet potato
1 can (10 oz/284 ml) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
3 Tbsp (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
3/10 cup (75 ml) packed brown sugar
1 ½ Tbsp (22 ml) chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard
1 tsp (5 ml) dried thyme
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together lard and butter until creamy. Add salt and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine your all-purpose and whole wheat flours together. Add the flour to the creamed fats, 1 cup at a time, scraping sides of the bowl with each addition.
2. Add the water all at once and mix evenly. Quickly form dough into a ball. Use plenty of flour when rolling out, as the dough will be quite sticky.
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. This pastry should roll out very smoothly and not fall to pieces. Knead a few times then cover with plastic wrap and chill until needed.Filling
1. In large non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook ground chicken, stirring to break up meat, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Drain off excess fat. Stir in onion, garlic, celery and red pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Transfer chicken mixture to a large saucepan.
2. Stir in carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, soup, chicken stock, vinegar, brown sugar, rosemary, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes or until liquid has absorbed and vegetables are tender. Set aside to cool before using. Makes about 6 cups (1.5 L).
3. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove pastry dough from refrigerator. Divide into 12 equal portions. Form each portion into a ball. On generously floured work surface, roll one ball of dough into a 6-inch (15 cm) circle. Place 6-inch (15 cm) salad or dessert plate upside down on top of pastry circle; using small paring knife, trim excess dough away to form a perfect circle. Dust pastry circle with flour; set aside. Roll out remaining dough balls in same manner.
4. Place pastry circles on a lightly floured surface. Add ¼ cup (50 ml) chicken mixture to bottom half of one circle, leaving at least ½-inch (1 cm) bare around edge. Brush outer edge of pastry with beaten egg. Fold dough over and press edges together to seal. Crimp the straight edge of pasty with tines of a fork. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry circles. Freeze remaining filling for the next time you make pasties.
5. Brush tops of pasties with remaining beaten egg. With sharp knife, pierce a vent in top of each pasty. One baking sheet at a time, bake in centre of oven for 30 minutes.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site