- prep time 30 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 8 servings
1 tablespoon (15 mL) vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bottle (650 mL) passata (strained tomatoes)
1 ½ cups (375 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
2 teaspoons (10 mL) chili powder
½ teaspoon (2 mL) salt
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons (30 mL) drained pickled jalapenos
1 tablespoon (15 mL) lime juice
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (to make about 4 cups/1 L)
2 cups (500 mL) shredded Black Diamond Marble Cheese (about 8 oz/250 g)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
8 small flour tortillas
1. For enchilada sauce, in a saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry onion and garlic, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, broth, chili powder and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of sauce in bottom of a 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) glass baking dish.
2. In a food processor, add beans, jalapenos, lime juice and 1 cup (250 mL) of the remaining enchilada sauce; pulse on and off just until combined but still a bit chunky (or mash in a bowl with a potato masher). Transfer to a large bowl; mix in chicken, half of the cheese and half of the green onions.
3. Divide chicken mixture among tortillas; roll up. Place enchiladas, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce overtop, spreading to cover tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onions.
4. Bake in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
5. Tip: Serve with sour cream, chopped avocado and cilantro, if desired.