Chicken Liver Pate
- prep time 15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 11
4 large onions, thinly sliced
60 millilitres (1/4 cup) olive oil
1 ½ pounds (675 g) chicken livers, trimmed
2 small carrots, cooked
4 hard-boiled eggs
10 millilitres (2 teaspoons) salt
A pinch of nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a skillet over medium heat, sautee the onions in half of the olive oil until caramelized, for about 30 minutes. Remove half of the onions from the skillet and set aside. Add the remaining olive oil and on high heat continue cooking until the onions are crispy and golden brown. Add more olive oil if necessary. Drain on paper towel, season with salt and pepper and set aside for garnish.
2. In a small pot of salted simmering water, poach the chicken livers for 5 minutes on low heat. Drain on paper towels.
3. In a food processor, purée the livers with carrots, 2 hard-boiled eggs and the caramelized onions until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add nutmeg. Push through a fine-mesh sieve if desired.
4. Pack the mousse into a serving dish, smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. Garnish with the crispy onions and grate the remaining hard-boiled eggs right before serving. Serve with bread, toasts or crackers.