Chicken Marengo with Fried Eggs
- prep time 30 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4 servings
2 tablespoons (30 mL) unsalted butter
1 pound (454 g) mixed mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 shallots, minced
2 vine-ripe tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
½ cup (125 mL) white wine
2 tablespoons EACH (60 mL total) finely diced red and yellow bell pepper
½ cup (125 mL) crushed canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon (15 mL) finely sliced flat leaf parsley
1 pound (454 g) peeled and deveined white shrimp (size 21-30)Chicken
¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (each about 5 oz/142 g), pounded to a 1/4-inch thickness and seasoned with salt and pepper
½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, beaten
1. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add butter and mushrooms and sauté until all the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes, then stir in shallots and garlic and cook until mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes more.
2. Stir in tomato, wine, bell peppers and crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until sauce has reduced by half.
3. Add parsley and shrimp and cook just until shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes more.Chicken
1. Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.
2. Working with one piece at a time, dredge chicken in flour, then in egg and place in skillet and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Keep cooked chicken in a low oven until ready to serve.
3. To Plate: On each of four plates, place a chicken cutlet, spoon over sauce, top with a sunny-side-up fried egg, and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.