Chicken Yakitori with Soba Salad
- serves 4
Delicious chicken skewers served with a homemade soba noodle salad.
Courtesy of Kristen Eppich.
225 g soba buckwheat noodles
¼ cup (60 mL) rice vinegar
3 Tbsp (45 mL) sesame oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
4 cup (1 L) baby spinach
6 green onions, slicedSkewers
8 wooden skewers
2 (1 lb) boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup (60 mL) soy sauce
¼ cup (60 mL) mirin
2 Tbsp (30 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add soba and cook until tender, 6 to 8 min. Drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients to soba and toss until noodles are coated and vegetables are distributed. Chill until ready to serve.Skewers
1. Slice chicken lengthwise into long, thin strips. Place in a medium bowl. Combine soy sauce with mirin, rice vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Add ¼ cup soy mixture to chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Soak skewers in water for 30 min.
3. Bring remaining soy mixture to a boil in a small pot. Cook for 6 to 8 min, or until thickened. Remove from heat and reserve.
4. Thread chicken onto skewers. Preheat BBQ or grill pan to medium high heat. Baste skewers with reserved sauce. Cook until grill marks appear and chicken is no longer pink, 2 to 3 min per side.
5. Remove from heat and drizzle with extra sauce. Serve with soba salad.