- prep time 20 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 6
1 ½ cup chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
½ Tbsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne
2 ½ cup water
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, choppedLemon Aioli
5 clove garlic
½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 egg yolks
1 ½ cup light olive oil (I use a canola/extra virgin olive blend)Slaw
1 lb(s) carrots, peeled and grated (about 3 cups)
6 radishes, tops removed and sliced
1 ½ Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to tasteGarnish
6 oz mixed salad greens (about 1 quart lightly packed)
1 roasted delicata squash, cut in ¼-inch slices, warm (or butternut squash, peeled & cut into rounds)
6 ciabatta rolls
1. Fill a deep fat fryer with vegetable oil (alternatively use rice bran oil) and set to 350 degrees. If preferable bake or grill the patties as you would polenta.
2. Make the chickpea patties and aioli ahead of time. Lightly oil 1 ¼-size sheet pan and keep in a warm place. In a thick-bottomed pot, mix all the dry ingredients. Gradually add the rest of the water while stirring with a flat-bottomed wooden spatula. Avoid lots of lumps of flour, but a few are ok. Start with high heat, and while stirring almost constantly, gradually lower the heat as the mixture thickens. Add the parsley later in the cooking, when most of the water has been absorbed. Once it is thickened and the mixture pulls away from the sides and bottom of the pot when you stir it, it is done.
3. It should take about 10-15 minutes. Transfer the patty mixture to the sheet pan and spread it evenly, covering the entire pan. (Optional: Also oil the bottom of another pan, and place it on top of the patty mixture. Press firmly to create a smooth, even surface, then remove.) Cool completely.Lemon Aioli
1. To make the aioli, add all the ingredients except the oil to a food processor and puree. With the unit running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until all is used. It should form a thick emulsion like mayonnaise. Cool completely.Slaw
1. To make the slaw, simply mix the ingredients. To grate the carrots you can use a Cuisinart, and slice the radishes using the slicing blade. Use at room temperature.Garnish
1. To roast the squash, cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds, then cut cross-wise into ¼-inch slices (when delicata first come into season you can eat the skin). Toss with a little olive oil and a pinch of black pepper, place on a sheet pan and bake in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes. When easily pierced with a knife, they are done. Keep these warm.
2. Now for the sandwiches! Take the sheet pan of chickpea and cut each into 12 pieces. Slice the rolls in half to open them, lightly brush with olive oil and toast them either on a grill or in the broiler of an oven. For each sandwich, drop 2 of the patties into the fryer until they are crispy and begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Spread aioli on each side of the roll, then place salad greens on each side. Cover 1 side with the carrot-radish slaw, then place 3-4 slices of roasted squash on top. Remove the patties from the fryer, drain on paper towels, and lightly salt them. Place them over the squash and close the sandwich up!