Chili and Cheddar Holiday Biscuits
- serves 0
3 cup (750 ml) all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) each dry red chili flakes and chili powder
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) cold butter, cubed
¾ cup (175 ml) Canadian milk cheddar cheese, shredded
1-1/2 cup (375 ml) milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
2. Blend the flour with the baking powder, chili flakes, chili powder and salt. Add butter and fold into the dry mixture using a pastry blender (or two knives) until the mixture is crumbly. Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the Canadian Cheddar cheese and toss to combine.
3. Using a spoon, make a depression in the dry ingredients and pour in milk. Stir until a lumpy dough has been formed.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it binds. Roll or pat to 3/4-in (2 cm) thickness.
5. Cut into desired shapes, re-rolling scraps, and arrange on an un-greased baking tray. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the tops.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden on the bottom.