Chinese New Year Sweet and Sour Fish
- serves 4
1 whole fish (2 to 3 pounds), such as sea bass or rock cod, cleaned and scaled (908 g to 1362g)
2 Tbsp dry sherry (30 ml)
1 tsp salt (5 ml)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Cornstarch for coatingSauce
½ cup water (125 ml)
¼ cup rice vinegar (60 ml)
¼ cup sugar (60 ml)
3 Tbsp ketchup (45 ml)
1 Tbsp dry sherry (15 ml)
1 Tbsp soy sauce (15 ml)
½ tsp chili oil (2 ml)
1-1/2 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water (22 ml)Assembly
Vegetable oil for pan-frying
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp of 1-1/2-inch slivers fresh ginger
1 carrot, cut into 1-1/2-inch slivers
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-1/2-inch slivers
½ cup 1-1/2-inch slivers bamboo shoots
2 green onions (including tops), cut into 1-1/2-inch slivers
2 Tbsp chicken broth
1. On each side of fish, make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes about 1 -inch apart, cutting down to the bone each time. Rub fish with sherry and salt; set aside.
2. Dip fish into eggs, then coat with cornstarch, shaking off excess. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Place wide, nonstick frying pan over high heat until hot. Add oil. Place fish into pan and cook, turning once until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a heat-proof serving platter and keep warm in a 200 degree F. oven.Sauce
1. Combine all sauce ingredients except cornstarch solution in a medium-size saucepan. Bring sauce to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Set aside.
2. Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from pan. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add carrot, bell pepper, bamboo shoots, green onions, and broth; stir-fry for about 1-1/2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Set aside.
3. Remove from heat; add stir-fried vegetables and stir to coat. Pour vegetables and sauce over fish; serve hot.Assembly