Chocolate Bread Pudding with Creme Anglaise
- prep time 0 min
- total time 60 min
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten
6 ounces dark chocolate, melted
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 ½ cups 35% cream
1 cup homogenized milk
6 cups stale challah bread, cubed (roughly 1 loaf of bread)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate
¼ cup cocoa bean, shelled and choppedCreme Anglaise
1 cup 35% cream
1 whole vanilla bean, split
4 egg yolks
⅓ cup white sugar
1. Combine brown sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, eggs, melted chocolate, and vanilla. Stir in 35% cream and milk and mix until blended.
2. Add cubed Challah bread and toss to evenly coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Pour mixture into a greased 13x9x2” pan. Dot the top with butter, and sprinkle with the semi sweet chocolate and cocoa beans.
4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until bubbly and golden.Creme Anglaise
1. In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat cream and vanilla until bubbles start to form at the edges. While the cream is heating, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Once the cream is ready, remove the vanilla bean and pour half of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture, constantly whisking.
2. Add the mixture back into the remaining milk and whisk. Return the pan to the heat and continue to cook, stirring constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.