Chocolate Chip and Mascarpone Cupcakes
- prep time10 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 24
Ooey gooey chocolatey goodness makes these cupcakes totally irresistible.
5 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup water
⅓ cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
2 ¼ cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup (6-oz) semisweet chocolate chips (recommended: Nestle morsels)Ganache
1 cup (6-oz) semisweet chocolate chips (recommended: Nestle morsels)
⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 (12-count) muffin pans with paper liners
1. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325ºF.
2. Combine the unsweetened chocolate and water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes. Whisk in the mascarpone cheese until the mixture is smooth.
3. Beat the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl for 30 seconds. Stir in the mascarpone mixture. Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture. Stir until just blended.
4. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with no crumbs attached. Cool the cupcakes completely before dipping, about 1 hour.Ganache
1. Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl. Combine the heavy cream and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until small bubbles appear on the outside edge of the cream. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate chips. Using a fork, gently stir until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
2. Dip the tops of each cupcake in the ganache and transfer to a baking sheet. Place the dipped cupcakes in the refrigerator to set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to return to room temperature before serving.
3. Cook's Note: For puffier cupcakes, allow the batter to rest in the muffin pans for 20 minutes before baking.