Chocolate Gelato Tart
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
¾ cup whole hazelnuts
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ⅓ cups dark brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon fine saltAssembly
2 ½ cups chocolate gelato
½ cup lightly chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 12 minutes. Cool, then rub off skins with a tea towel and roughly chop.
2. Melt chocolate in microwave, stirring every 10 seconds and set aside. Cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Beat in eggs. Stir vanilla and instant coffee together and add to butter mixture. Stir in melted chocolate.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and add to butter mixture to combine. Stir in chopped hazelnuts.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Press dough into a greased 9-inch fluted tart pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until center has a dull finish and edges are lightly browned. While still warm, press gently in the center of the tart to make an indentation to fill with ice cream. Allow shell to cool.Assembly
1. Let chocolate gelato sit for 10 minutes at room temperature, then beat on medium speed to soften slightly so gelato is spreadable. Spread gelato into cooled tart shell and sprinkle with ½ cup lightly chopped hazelnuts. Freeze until ready to serve.