Chocolate Mint Cookies
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 24
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
6 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
dash baking powder
icing sugar, for garnishFilling
1 egg white
1 ¾ cups icing sugar, sifted
2 drops to 3 drops peppermint extractTo Assemble
1. Beat butter until smooth and fluffy. Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder over butter and beat in. Stir in vanilla, egg yolk and milk. Add flour, salt and baking powder to cocoa mixture and blend until incorporated. Shape dough into disc, wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325° F. On a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 1 ½-inch circles and transfer carefully to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cookies can be lifted easily away from the parchment. Allow to cool on baking sheet.
3. For filling, put egg white in a bowl and beat in icing sugar, a few tablespoonfuls at a time, until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a surface dusted with icing sugar. Knead in remaining icing sugar and peppermint extract, until dough is no longer sticky.
4. To fill cookies, roll a teaspoon of dough into a ball and flatten a little. Sandwich between 2 cookies and press together to push icing to edges. Continue until all cookies have been filled.
5. Cookies can be glazed with chocolate to finish or dusted with icing sugar.
6. Yield: Approximately 2 dozen cookies