Chocolate Peppermint Cups
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 36
¼ cup unsweetened coconut
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ cup chocolate cookie crumbs
¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
¼ teaspoon fine salt
½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extractFilling
2 egg whites
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1. For the crusts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pulse coconut, sugar, flour, cookie crumbs, cocoa and salt in a food processor (just to grind the coconut a bit). Add butter and pulse until crumbly. Add yolks and vanilla and pulse until dough just starts to come together.
3. Spoon a tablespoonful of dough into each cup of an ungreased mini-muffin tin. Press dough firmly to pack and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool while preparing filling.Filling
1. Beat egg whites until foamy, then slowly add in 2 ½ cups icing sugar on low speed. Add peppermint extract and increase speed to high. Beat for 3 minutes, until filling has body, but is still soft. Adjust with additional icing sugar, if needed.
2. Spoon or pipe a tablespoonful of filling into cooled shells and let set in an airtight container for at least 2 hours before serving.