Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- prep time 15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 6-8
12 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
⅓ cup cocoa (80 ml)Raspberry Filling
1 cup raspberry jam (250 ml)
4 cups fresh raspberries (1 L)Chocolate Mousse
2 cups 35% cream (500 ml)
1 ½ cups dark chocolate, chopped (375 ml)
¼ cup soft butter (60 ml)
5 egg whites
¼ cup sugar (60 ml)Assemble
1. For the chocolate cake batter, preheat oven at 350F (180C). Butter two 9-inch round cake pans (about 2 inches deep) and line bottoms with a round of parchment paper.
2. Beat the egg yolks with sugar until thick and pale, about 3 minutes using a hand or stand mixer. Sift and fold in the cocoa using a spatula.
3. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Slowly add the egg whites to the chocolate mixture in three times.
4. Divide the batter in the pans lined with parchment paper and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until it spring back with the touch of your fingers. Let cool slightly and unmold. Cool off completely.Raspberry Filling
1. Melt the raspberry jam in a small saucepan. Transfer jam to a bowl and add the fresh raspberries. Stir delicately to coat the raspberries with the jam. Keep aside.Chocolate Mousse
1. In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil and remove from heat. Pour on chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes. Whisk ganache until smooth. Add butter and let cool at room temperature for about half an hour.
2. Beat the egg whites to soft peak. Add the sugar and continue beating until firm peaks form. Slowly add the meringue in three times to the chocolate ganache. Keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour.Assemble
1. Remove parchment paper from cake and invert one layer onto a plate. Spread half of the chocolate mousse and garnish with the raspberry mixture. Place the second layer of cake on top. Spread the remaining mousse and garnish with fresh raspberries. Top with chocolate shavings and sprinkle with powder sugar.