Chocolate Tart with Caramel Sauce
- prep time60 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4
A decadent chocolate dessert perfect with espresso.
Breakdown of Times:
In-Active Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
1 ½ cup (375 mL) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 mL) confectioners' sugar
¼ tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
4 ½ oz (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
1 large egg, lightly beatenChocolate Filling
1 ¼ cup (310 mL) heavy (35% MF) cream
1 ¼ cup (310 mL) finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
¼ tsp (1 mL) saltCaramel Sauce
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60 mL) water
1 pinch salt
2 Tbsp EACH (60 mL total) unsalted butter and heavy (35% MF) cream
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add egg and continue pulsing until the dough starts to form clumps.
3. Turn dough out onto work surface and knead just combined, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
4. Place chilled dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll into an 11-inch circle (28 cm), then carefully fit it into a tart pan with a removable bottom. Pat some of the overhanging dough back in around the edge to make the sides of the tart shell thicker than the bottom.
5. Trim off excess dough from edges and place tart in refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
6. With the tines of a fork, prick bottom of chilled pastry tart at ½-inch (1 cm)intervals, line with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
7. Bake pastry shell in preheated 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven (200 degrees Celsius) until the rim of the shell starts to turn golden, about 15 minutes, then removed weights and parchment, return shell to oven, and back until golden, about 10 minutes more. Transfer shell to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, make filling.Chocolate Filling
1. In a small saucepan set over medium heat add cream, bring to a gentle boil, then add chocolate and stir until melted.
2. Remove pan from heat and whisk a little chocolate mixture into eggs, then whisk egg mixture into chocolate mixture along with vanilla and salt.
3. Spoon filling into reserved tart shell and bake in preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven (180 degrees Celsius) until set in the middle, about 30 minutes.Caramel Sauce
1. In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, stir together sugar, water and salt, bring to a boil, and cook until water has evaporated and sugar is light golden brown, about 8 minutes. DO NOT STIR OR SHAKE POT.
2. Remove pot from heat and carefully stir in butter and cream. Keep sauce warm until ready to serve.
3. To Plate: Portion tart and serve each slice drizzled with caramel sauce.