Chuck's Carrot Cake
- prep time1 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 12
This is no ordinary carrot spice cake, with bits of pineapple and cherries this cake is something extra special.
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp all spice
½ tsp salt
1 cup canola oil
1 ½ cup sugar
3 cup carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup dried golden raisins
½ cup dried cherries
1 cup pineapple, choppedFrosting
2 pkg 250 g cream cheese, softened
2 ½ cup icing sugar
½ cup butter, softened
Zests and juice of 1 orangeGarnish
1 cup toasted walnuts
½ cup maple syrup
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Line two 20-cm (8-inch) Springform pans with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil and sugar with a whisk. Gently stir in the dry ingredients. With a spatula, gently fold in the remaining ingredients.
4. Divide the batter between the pans. Bake for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack. Run the blade of a knife around the cakes and unmold.Frosting
1. For the frosting, in a bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the cheese with the butter and icing sugar. Add the zests and juice and continue beating until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
2. Spread the frosting over the top of the cakes and stack them on a platter.Garnish
1. For the maple walnuts, in a skillet, bring the syrup to a boil. Add the walnuts and stir continuously until the syrup has crystallized around the walnuts. Pour onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and let cool. Garnish the cake.