Chuck's Fried Chicken
- serves 0
2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp black pepper
4 Tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard powder
2 cup all purpose flour
8 chicken drumsticks
1 L buttermilk
canola oil for deep frying
1. Mix all of the spices together in a bowl. Put half the seasoning mix in another bowl. Add the flour to one bowl, mix well and set aside.
2. Rub the chicken with the reserved spice mix. Poke all of the pieces with a fork a few times to let the buttermilk seep down into the meat and set aside.
3. Pour the buttermilk into the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour minimum (can also let marinate longer -- even overnight)
4. Place flour mixture in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Remove chicken pieces from buttermilk and drop into the bag, shaking them to make sure they are heavily coated.
5. Place 2 – 3 inches of vegetable oil in a wide straight - sided pan. (or use a deep fryer)
6. Heat vegetable oil until it registers 360 - 375 degrees (180-200 C) on a candy thermometer or until a small cube of bread dropped in the oil browns in about 1 minute
7. Drop chicken pieces into the hot oil. Turn the chicken as it browns and remove once done. Don’t let the chicken pieces touch each other so work in batches if necessary.
8. Check the underside by lifting with the tongs--it should be deep golden brown. Cook the pieces about 15 minutes, until crispy and brown.
9. To test, cut into the thickest part of a piece. The juices should run clear and the meat should be opaque throughout. If necessary, pop them into a pre-heated 325 degree oven till cooked through.
10. Place on the paper towel-lined baking sheet.
11. Place your chicken onto a serving platter or bucket and serve hot, room temperature or cold.