Churros French Toast with White Chocolate-Orange Ganache
- prep time30 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 4
This amazing French toast is dusted with spiced sugar and served with a mind-blowing and super easy white chocolate-orange ganache.
6 (1 1/2-inch) slices day-old pain de mie bread, crusts removed
1 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbsp
2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground star anise
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 cups half-and-half
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup canola oil
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butterWhite Chocolate-Orange Ganache
1 ½ cups heavy cream
¼ cup almond butter
8 oz white chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
1. Preheat the oven to 275ºF.
2. Cut each slice of bread lengthwise into thirds (18 pieces total). Transfer to a baking rack set over a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes to dry out. Remove from the oven and let sit for another 30 minutes before making the French toast.White Chocolate-Orange Ganache
1. Meanwhile, make the ganache: Whisk the heavy cream and almond butter together in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally the mixture doesn't have to be completely smooth. Remove from the heat, cover, and let steep for 10 minutes.
2. Continue with the French toast: Whisk together the 1 cup sugar, cinnamon and star anise in a shallow baking dish.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar, half-and-half and vanilla extract until very smooth. Transfer to a second shallow baking dish.
4. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan later on, soak the bread until saturated, turning a few times, about 3 minutes total.
5. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat half of the oil and half of the butter until melted and shimmering. In batches, add the soaked bread and cook, turning, until golden brown on all sides, about 30 seconds per side. Immediately remove from the pan, toss in the spiced sugar, and transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining oil, butter and bread.
6. Serve the churros warm with the ganache for dipping.