- serves 8
½ cup milk
½ cup water
7 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
5 large egg, at room temperature
icing sugar, for dustingIce Cream
1 quart vanilla ice cream
1 ½ tsp cinnamonMexican Chocolate Sauce
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup water
½ cup non low-fat sour cream
⅓ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp black pepperTo Assemble
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Heat milk, water, butter, sugar, cinnamon and salt and bring up to a simmer.
3. Sift flour and add all at once to milk mixture. Stir mixture over medium heat for 2 minutes.
4. By hand (if doing by hand the whole profiterole recipe can be done in one pot) or with a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add eggs one at a time, blending completely before adding an additional egg. Lift the spoon (or the paddle) from the paste. If it still feels tight (is hard to pull away) then add a sixth egg. If it “sheets” or leaves batter as you lift it then it does not need an extra egg.
5. Fit a pastry bag with a large star piping tip. Fill bag and pipe 1 1/2- inch rounds of paste onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between each (secure the edges of the parchment to the pan by sticking it with a little of the paste). After all the dough has been piped, touch the top of each profiterole with a finger dipped in water, to flatten the point the tip has left.
6. Bake profiteroles for 12 minutes at 400 F. Do not open oven yet! Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 12 minutes, until profiteroles are rich golden brown. Allow to cool before filling. Profiteroles can be made ahead of time and frozen.Ice Cream
1. To prepare ice cream, thaw ice cream for 10 minutes. Beat with cinnamon and re-freeze.Mexican Chocolate Sauce
1. Heat all ingredients over medium low heat, whisking frequently. Cook for 10 minutes, until sauce thickens. Sauce can be served warm or chilled.To Assemble
1. To fill profiteroles, slice in half horizontally and place a scoop of ice cream in the middle of each “sandwich”.
2. Spoon a generous amount of chocolate sauce onto the centre of the plate. Dust profiteroles (2 per person) generously with icing sugar and place on top of chocolate sauce.