Citrus Tartlets with Brazil Nut Crust
- prep time 25 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 12
½ cup Brazil nuts
2 tablespoons sugar
¾ cup flour
1 pinch salt
¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon ice waterPastry Cream
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup hot milkFilling
Sections of 2 blood oranges, peel and pith removed
Sections of 2 Cara Cara oranges, peel and pith removed
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. In a food processor, finely chop the nuts with the sugar. Add the flour and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the egg yolk and water. Pulse until the mixture resembles wet, sticky sand. Add more water if necessary. Shape into a log and cut into 12 rounds.
3. Using your fingertips, press the dough rounds into 12 aluminum tartlet pans (7.8 x 2 cm/3 1/16 x 7/8 inches). Arrange on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Unmould.Pastry Cream
1. In a saucepan off the heat, combine the sugar, flour and zest. Add the egg and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Slowly whisk in the hot milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly and taking care to scrape the bottom and corners of the saucepan. Simmer over low heat for about 30 seconds. Pour into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, with the wrap resting directly on the surface. Let cool to room temperature.Filling
1. Spoon the pastry cream into the tartlet shells. Garnish with orange sections.