Clam and Mussel Chowder with a Light Curry Froth
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
1 tablespoon butter
⅓ cup sliced onion
apple, peeled, cored, and, thinly, sliced
2 garlic, cloves, finely, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs thyme
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup cream
¼ cup vegetable or chicken stockClam And Mussel Chowder
1 pound small fresh clam, (such as Manilla)
1 pound fresh mussel
1 garlic, clove
1 sprig thyme
1 small bay leaf
½ cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
freshly ground white pepper
lemon, juiceTo Serve
¼ cup sliced celery, cut into small dices and blanched
⅓ cup Yukon Gold potato, cut into small dices and blanched
⅓ cup carrot, cut into 1/4" dice and blanched
1. In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, pear or apple, garlic, bay leaf and thyme, and sweat until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, cream and stock. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Puree in a blender and strain the mixture. Transfer to a clean saucepot and heat. Adjust seasoning and keep warm.Clam And Mussel Chowder
1. Place the clams and mussels in a large pot with the garlic, shallot, thyme, bay leaf and wine. Cover and bring this to a light boil until the clams and mussels have opened. Remove from the heat. Strain the liquid into a pot and remove the clams and mussels from their shells and set aside.
2. Reduce the reserved liquid by about one-half. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Whisk in butter. Season with salt and white pepper and add lemon juice to taste. Add the reserved clam and mussel meat to the soup and heat. Keep warm.To Serve
1. Place some of the mixture of celery, carrot and potato and place on the bottom of four bowls.
2. Whisk the warm curry cream until it is foamy. Place some of the curry froth on top of the vegetables.
3. Ladle the hot soup into the bowls. Spoon a little curry foam on the soup. Serve immediately.