- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 14
2 ¼ cup pastry flour, sifted
1 ½ cup sugar
1 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup canola or vegetable oil
7 large eggs, separated
¾ cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
3 egg whites
1 Tbsp cream of tartarLemon Curd
3/10 cup lemon juice (strained)
1 egg yolk
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter
1 tsp lemon zestCoconut Cream Icing
4 Tbsp icing sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 cup whipping cream
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp coconut extract
1 cup sweet flaked coconut
toasted coconut, for garnishTo Assemble
1. For cake, preheat oven to 325° F. In a large bowl, combine flour, all but 2 tbsp of sugar, coconut, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre and add oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla and coconut extract. Beat until smooth with hand mixer. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the ten egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Beat in 2 Tbsp remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold a third egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining two thirds. Pour batter into ungreased tube pan. Run a knife through batter to burst any air bubbles and bake for 1 hour or until cake springs back when touched (do not open oven door until at least 50 minutes have passed). Invert pan and cool for 1 1/2 hours. Loosen sides with a long metal spatula and remove core of pan.
2. To prepare lemon curd, whisk together lemon juice, eggs, yolk, sugar and zest in a bowl over a pot of gently simmering water. Whisk in butter and whisk steadily until curd becomes thick, pale and creamy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap resting directly on curd. Chill until ready to use.
3. To prepare coconut cream, combine icing sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan and gradually stir in 1/4 cup of the whipping cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for a few seconds. Scrape into small bowl to cool to room temperature. Add vanilla and coconut extract. Whisk remaining whipping cream to soft peaks. Add cornstarch mixture in a steady stream, whisking constantly, until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut.
4. Cut cake into thirds. Spread 1/2 of the lemon curd on the bottom layer and place a layer of cake on top. Repeat with remaining curd and cake, ending with cake. Using an offset spatula, spread coconut cream icing generously over entire cake. Garnished with a light sprinkling of toasted coconut.
5. Yield: one 10-inch 2-piece tube pan. Makes 14 servings.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site