Coconut Curry Shrimp
- prep time 0 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 4
1 cup chopped onion
¾ cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped ginger, root
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon grated lime, rind
½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
2 tablespoons ground almonds
2 teaspoons ground coriander
¾ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 ½ teaspoons black mustard seeds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon lime, juice
1 pound shrimp, peeled, and, deveined
1 ⅓ cups white basmati rice
2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
1. In blender or food processor, finely chop together onion, red pepper, ginger, garlic, lime rind and hot pepper flakes.
2. Scrape down side of bowl.
3. Add ground almonds, ground coriander, paprika and turmeric; blend until in paste. Set aside.
4. In large nonstick skillet, toast mustard seeds over medium-high heat, shaking pan constantly, for about 3 minutes or until seeds turn grey and pop.
5. Remove from pan and set aside.
6. Add oil to skillet, swirling to coat; cook reserved paste over medium heat, stirring with flat wooden spatula and scraping bottom of pan, for 12 minutes or until paste is deep orange and separates into dry clumps.
7. Return mustard seeds to pan.
8. Add 1 cup (250 mL) water and 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL) of the salt; bring to boil.
9. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Strain through fine-mesh sieve into bowl, pressing with rubber spatula to extract liquid.
11. Wipe skillet clean. Return strained liquid to skillet.
12. Gently whisk coconut milk and lime juice into skillet until blended; bring to boil.
13. Reduce heat and add shrimp; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or just until shrimp are pink.
14. Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring 2 2/3 cups (650 mL) water and remaining salt to boil; stir in rice.
15. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
16. Fluff with fork.
17. To serve, spoon curry over rice.
18. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and fresh coriander.