Coffee Mole with Grilled Shrimp
- serves 4
2 lb(s) large shrimp, peeled, and, deveined
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp hot pepper flakesMole Sauce
¾ cup strong hot coffee
2 ancho chili, seeded, and, chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
⅓ cup toasted blanched almonds
¼ cup golden raisins
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 19 oz can tomato
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp dried coriander
¼ tsp pepper
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch aniseed
1 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. In large bowl, toss together shrimp, coriander, oil and hot pepper flakes. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
2. After shrimp is marinated, prepare mole sauce.
3. Meanwhile, place shrimp on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook until pink, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with mole sauce.Mole Sauce
1. In bowl, combine coffee and chilies; let soak until softened, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
3. In food processor, process almonds until coarsely ground. Add raisins and sesame seeds; pulse until coarsely ground. Add tomatoes, vinegar, oregano, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, cloves, aniseed, onion mixture and softened chilies and soaking liquid; process until coarsely puréed.
4. Return mixture to skillet; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in chocolate until melted. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. Serve with shrimp.