Directions for: Collard Greens and Potatoes
large potatoes, (unpeeled) cut into large cubes
bunch collard greens, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
medium cooking onion, diced
tsp mustard seeds
tsp cumin seeds
tsp fennel seeds
Tbsp organic butter
clove garlic, minced
tsp ginger, minced
a healthy pinch of unrefined sea salt
1. In a large pot boil potatoes (unpeeled) in salted water until they are not quite done (still firm). Drain and set aside.
2. Steam collard greens in a 1/2 inch of water in a pot for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large cast-iron pan on medium-high heat, add organic butter and mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start to pop, add onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté until onion is translucent.
4. Add potatoes, cumin and fennel seeds and stir. Add collard greens. Cook until potatoes are soft on the inside and crispy and browned on the outside and collards are wilted.
5. A few minutes before the end add turmeric and a healthy pinch of unrefined sea salt. Stir well. If too dry add a splash of water or more butter (although the final dish should be dry, not saucy).