Country Apple Pie
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine salt
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tbsp to 10 tbsp cold water as neededFilling
8 cups peeled and sliced tart apples, such as Spy or Spartan
¾ cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 egg whisked with 2 tbsp cold water for brushing
sugar for sprinkling
1. Combine flour with salt. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture is a roughly even crumbly texture.
2. Add lemon juice and water and blend just until dough comes together. Shape into a disc, wrap and chill for 30 minutes.Filling
1. Toss all ingredients except butter together and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 °F.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of dough to just under ¼-inch thick. Lightly dust bottom of a 9-inch pie pan with flour and line pan with dough. Fill pastry with apples and dot top with butter.
4. Roll out remaining half of dough and place over apples. Trim and cinch edges of pie and cut in holes in top layer of pastry to let steam escape. Brush top of pie with eggwash and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 °F and bake about 40 minutes, until filling is bubbling. Cool pie for at least an hour before slicing.