Country Style Ribs
- prep time15 min
- total time 135 min
- serves 4
Anna Olson's Country Style Ribs seasoned with bacon, marsala and garlic.
4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
2 ½ lb(s) country-style pork ribs (shortribs with some loin meat attached), cut into single rib portions
2 medium onions, diced into 1-inch pieces
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
4 clove garlic, sliced
3 bay leaves
6 sprig fresh thyme
4 sprig fresh oregano
3 parsley stems
½ cup dry Marsala
1 28 oz diced tomato
2 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp capers
salt & pepper
½ cup chopped Italian parsley
1. Sear pork ribs over high heat until brown and remove from pan.
2. In a large braising pot, over medium high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate, leaving fat in pan.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add onion and carrot, cooking until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Add bay leaves. Tie thyme, oregano and parsley stems together with string and add to pot, tying one end of the string to the handle of the pot.
4. Add Marsala, tomato and chicken stock and return to a simmer. Add ribs back to pot, cover and gently simmer for about 2 hours, turning ribs occasionally. Skim off any excess fat. Stir in capers, add back cooked bacon and season to taste. Stir in parsley immediately before serving.
5. Alternatively, ribs can be covered once at a simmer, then cooked in a 350 °F oven for 2 ½ hours.