Couscous-Crusted Salmon with Caper Mayonnaise, Rice and Zucchini
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
1 cup couscous
1 ½ cups liquid (i.e. chicken broth)
Garlic, onion, cilantro, mushrooms, etc… (optional)
1 cup 1 cup light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon hot pepper relish
1 teaspoon prepared garlic (in a jar)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon basil pesto (I have a handy tube I leave in the fridge for small amounts.)
1 ½ cups basmati or white rice
3 cups water
½ cup flour
¼ cup cold water
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 large zucchini
Prepared flour, egg, couscous
1 cup pine nuts
6 pieces of wild salmon (approx 150g each)
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
1. The night before... Prepare couscous according to package directions. I like to use chicken broth as part of the liquid required. I also sauté fresh ingredients I have around; i.e. garlic, onion, cilantro, mushrooms…but all finely cut. Leave in refrigerator.
2. Just before dinner... Combine mayonnaise, pepper relish, garlic, lemon juice, capers and pesto in a small bowl. Stir and set aside in fridge. Combine rice and water in a large microwave-safe pot or casserole dish with lid. Cover and microwave at high 10 minutes then medium 10 minutes. Remove from microwave and let stand. Pour cold cooked couscous onto a large piece of waxed paper. Pour flour onto another piece of waxed paper.
3. Whisk egg and water in a mixing bowl until combined.
4. Heat a small amount of oil in a large non stick fry pan.
5. Wash and slice zucchini into 1/2 inch disks adding to pan as you slice. Do not put 6 of the slices in the pan. When zucchini is nicely brown but still firm, set aside in foil to keep warm. Coat the remaining pieces in this order; flour, egg and finally couscous. Place in pan as you coat. Add pine nuts to pan. Once zucchini and pine nuts are brown, set aside.
6. Coat the salmon using the same method, adding to hot pan as you coat.
7. Serve salmon with uncoated zucchini and rice, with the caper sauce on the side. For the vegetarian in the house, serve the coated zucchini with grated Parmesan on top, then top with pine nuts with the caper sauce on the side.