Crab Cakes with Caper Aioli
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 Tbsp white wine
1 ½ lb. lump crab meat, drained and picked over
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup finely chopped chives
2 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon
½ tsp cayenne
1 egg yolk
1 cup breadcrumbs, dividedArtichokes
¼ cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
4 large artichokes, quartered (or 8 small artichokes, halved) stems trimmed, outer leaves removed
¼ cup olive oil
juice of half a lemon
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to tasteTomato Salsa
1.5 - 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or 2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
2 Tbsp good quality olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped chives (or basil)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper, to tasteCaper Aioli
½ cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp chopped capers
zest of 1 lemon
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over low heat. Add onions and celery and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and translucent.
3. Add white wine and cook slowly over medium heat, covered, until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and let mixture cool.
4. In a large bowl, mix crabmeat, apple, mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, tarragon, cayenne and egg yolk. Add 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs. Add onion and celery mixture and combine. Season with salt and pepper. If mixture does not hold together, add more breadcrumbs.
5. Place remaining 2/3 cup of breadcrumbs into a large shallow dish. Divide crab mixture into 8 portions. Form crab cakes into 2 inch rounds with 1 inch thickness. Dip the top and bottom of each crab cake into breadcrumbs. Set aside on a baking tray.
6. In a non-stick pan, heat remaining 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add 4 crab cakes and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip crab cakes and sear another 1 minute. Transfer crab cakes to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cakes.
7. Place baking sheet in preheated oven, and bake for 6-7 minutes, or until crab cakes are heated through.Artichokes
1. In a large pot, bring 2 L of water to a boil. Mix in white vinegar and salt. Add artichokes, and cover surface of water with a piece of parchment paper. Continue boiling for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain artichokes.
2. Preheat grill to medium heat.
3. In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
4. Add artichokes and toss gently with dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Wrap artichokes in tinfoil and place on preheated grill. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly charred.
6. Serve with tomato salsa.Tomato Salsa
1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.Caper Aioli
1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site